Friday, June 15, 2012

adoption


I’m filling in part time at Mend this summer.  Some of the staff need to get away for some vacation time.  Working at Mend can be draining.  It’s sweet, honest ministry to those in need – emotionally, physically, spiritually.  But, draining. 

Yesterday I answered the phone.

“If I get my daughter on the other line, do you have time to talk to us.  She’s 18 and pregnant”
“Of course.” (oh no!  These kinds of set-ups rarely go well)
“We just want to know what God thinks about abortion?”  

In 3 years of working at Mend, I don’t know if anyone ever asked me that question.  It was hard over the phone.  She couldn’t see my face, and I could only guess at how she was responding to what I had to say.   My guess was that she’s listening and hanging on every word.

Life is so very fragile in this moment.   And it’s left to… me?  Ugh.  I’m not ready.  I’m out of practice.  I can’t communicate this stuff over the phone to a stranger.  

We talk about life at conception.  Psalm 139 – “I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”  Risks of abortion, both emotional and physical. 

Adoption?

This is the point when most girls shut me down, claiming that adoption is not an option for them.  I’ve had girls tell me they “don’t believe in adoption” and that they “could never give my baby away like that.”  They won’t “give away” a baby in adoption, but they’ll abort.  Ironic. 

But not this girl.  I had her.  

“Adoption is a beautiful thing.  It’s a picture of how God deals with us, too.  He brings us into his family – not because of anything good that we do, but because of his mercy.”

We talked for 10-15 minutes.   Eventually it became more about her own adoption by God than about the baby.  It was as if she finally heard the gospel for the first time.   Precious.

Premarital sex + unplanned pregnancy = salvation?  I don’t know.  And I don’t really get how that works, but… wow.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.  ~ Ephesians 1:3-6 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment