Friday, January 4, 2013

its just me

A few weeks ago I went to Amanda and Dan's wedding and ran into someone who absolutely should have remembered me.  But he didn't.  I could tell when he saw me that I wasn't registering in his brain.  So when it came time for introductions to be made, I thought he would catch up.  He didn't.  Even when I said my name I could see he didn't have a clue because he said, "So, how do you fit into this wedding picture?" 

How delightful and strange to be just me.  In that potentially awkward moment when all the ugly past could have invaded the happiness, it turned out to be nothing.  My identity is... myself.  I'm someone who happened to be around when Amanda came into our little world and I just love her.   I'm a guest at the wedding.  That's who I am in this moment.

It's just me.

4 comments: