Saturday, July 20, 2013

"we don't do church discipline here"

I recently heard about a young wife who found out that her husband has a girlfriend.  She's been living with this knowledge for a while with really no one to talk to.  He wants to make a family with that girl and raise all his kids together with the new girl and her kids.  So, the wife goes to her pastor and says, "hey, so my husband has a girlfriend.  I need help.... What about church discipline?"  And the pastor says, "Well, we don't really do church discipline here."

wait.... what?!

I don't know this girl at all - she's a friend of a friend in another city.  I don't know the church or the pastor.  But, I'm genuinely angry.  Is this normal?  It just makes me so sad. 

I don't even know what else to say about this except that it hurts my feelings.

I want to drive out there, gather them all in my little car and drive them back to Tulsa to a real church.  To real elders who will do the hard thing, call sin "sin" and beg him to repent and stay after him. To godly women who will deliver meals to her a couple times a week for 7 months straight.  To friends who will come over at 4:30 in the morning when she's scared.  To college kids who will adopt her children as their own little siblings and love on them.  To long, lingering hugs from women who have walked this road before her and survived.

That's all.  Carry on.







1 comment:

  1. So sad that a church will not do the Scriptural thing, let alone the loving thing. Your blog reminds us of the Godly and loving care your church gave/gives you. Thank you for your tender heart.

    ReplyDelete